SKYAUS.COM

Retrieve Password
 Register Now
!show!: 1410|Reply: 19

Can you get Austudy for a 2nd degree? [Copy URL]

Post time 2012-7-8 17:39:20 |Show all posts
Just curious.I completed a bachelor a few years ago, and have since nearly paid off my HECS debt, but now I'm out of a job again. I had a look through some Centrelink documentation and didn't see a whole lot saying I would be excluded from doing a second degree. Does anyone know?

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 17:46:20 |Show all posts

Can you get Austudy for a 2nd degree?

Yes you should be able to, as long as you fulfil all their other criteria. Many of my friends recieve benefits (both youth allowance and austudy depending on age) and we all have previous degrees. Best to talk to centerlink though they do have restrictions on how many years you can get benefits for. I don't recieve anything but I know a few of my friends who won't recieve anything in their final year.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 17:49:20 |Show all posts

DoctorOwl writes...Centrelink documentation and didn't see a whole lot saying I would be excluded from doing a second degree. Does anyone know?As far as I know Centrelink have this thing called 'allowable time' (which they seem to bury somewhere as no one can find it on their website) which means you can only get Austudy for 1 type of degree.So if you're thinking of an undergrad and you already got Austudy for your previous undergrad, I think you may be out of luck...

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 17:55:20 |Show all posts

Best talk to them. A friend of mine did a second undergrad degree (after about 3 years), got Centrelink for a year, was cut off for six months, then went on the job seeker one for a while (ie, you have to apply for a number of jobs a week, even though you really don't want one because you're studying full time) and then got back on to the normal student one.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 18:01:20 |Show all posts

No you can't. It is hard to get, basically you need to take year off then study. If you study before you get ausstudy it will count towards your allowable time. Three years is allowable time with special addition to maximum of 6 months.Imo if you do engineering, math, or physics degree and pass 75% you should be guaranteed ausstudy. But thats just me.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 18:05:20 |Show all posts

NotaCarrot writes...If you study before you get ausstudy it will count towards your allowable time. Three years is allowable time with special addition to maximum of 6 months.Am I reading right? that means I have to apply for austudy then study?I'm already halfway through 2nd semester..Isn't that just encouraging me not to work and study at the same time.I was hoping to quit full time in 2 years and then go to full time study load.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 18:09:20 |Show all posts

Not sure if the rules have changed since I was there, but the short answer is no.You can get 4 years youth allowance if you have a ft 4 year degree and they will extend that another six months if you need to make up a few units.General principle is they will support you through one undergraduate degree.Then you are on your own.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 18:15:20 |Show all posts

http://www.facs.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-3/ssguide-3.3/ssguide-3.3.4/ssguide-3.3.4.70.htmlAnd the info they give with example:Recipients can study a second course at the SAME level within the allowable study time rules. That is, continue to receive Austudy for any study period/s that they enrol in when there is any additional allowable time available to them to commence a second course at the same level.Example: A recipient who completes a 3-year Bachelor Degree in 3 years and subsequently enrols in a new 3-year Bachelor Degree would be entitled to the first 6 months (1 semester) of their second course (unless enrolled in a year based subject, in which case they may be eligible for a full year). If there were no exceptional circumstances, they would then have reached the allowable study time.With HELP you can top up your entitlement by working (I think 4 years = 1 year of study). I wonder if there is anything simalar for Ausstudy.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 18:23:20 |Show all posts

this post was [b]edited[/b]I called centrlink about this as I want to study again next year. I have 2 degrees already (both finished pre being 25 which i got no financial help for).  What they told me is you're allowed austudy for 1 degree after you're 25, so all previous degrees don't count for me and i can get it.  So if your previous study is pre turning 25 you should be sweet.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 18:26:20 |Show all posts

Logically it would be 'no'.  Else you could keep studying for the rest of your life on Austudy, going from degree to degree.

Use magic Report

Reply post

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now