SKYAUS.COM

Retrieve Password
 Register Now
!show!: 670|Reply: 19

Minimum space around fridge - Kitchen [Copy URL]

Post time 2012-7-8 11:25:34 |Show all posts
We have a cabinet space of 1750mm H x 800mm W x 810mm D.I am looking at several Electrolux/Westinghouse fridges which are 790mm Wide.Manufacturers are recommending 20mm space each side whereas I will only have 5mm each side.How important is the side space, given that I have double the recommended space at the back, plus a gap behind the cupboard above for ventilation?I have had conflicting advice from salespeople about whether I can/should do this.Has anyone else put their fridge into a space this tight and what happened?My dilemma is that the kitchen cabinets were only built about 7 years ago, and I really dont want to have to have it redone just to fit in a new fridge, but the next size down is not going to be big enough now that we have a family.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 11:32:34 |Show all posts

Minimum space around fridge - Kitchen

Im not sure of the technical answer, but my parents have had a relatively large fridge (guessing around 580L+) pretty much touching each side for about 10 years and nothing happened to their fridge or cupboard. I doubt it would matter if you have enough ventilation on all other areas.In case you didn't already make sure you measure the width of the cabinet at several points since the slightest angle of the cabinet can result in a few mm width at the top and bottom.Also you might have a brand pref but if you don't some brands have the same volume in litres by being narrower and deeper, so maybe check that out if you haven't.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 11:38:34 |Show all posts

Modern fridges have heat exchange pipes on sides under the metal skin.It helps to have larger clearances for air to move around freely picking up "waste heat"Insufficient ventilation might cause fridge to work harder as some heat will be reflected back and or cool air will not remove heat efficiently.Many people have fridges locked up in cabinets and they manage, so most probably this will not kill the fridge, but it will not operate at 100% potential.It might be wise to find out about warranty validity should something go wrong.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 11:40:34 |Show all posts

this post was [b]edited[/b]leah010 writes...Manufacturers are recommending 20mm space each side whereas I will only have 5mm each side.You will find that this is the minimum recommended space, more than the minimum recommended space would not be a problem but any less and you risk / will be voiding your warranty.How important is the side space, given that I have double the recommended space at the back, plus a gap behind the cupboard above for ventilation?Whilst the additional space at the back and behind the cupboard is great, the space around the fridge is equally important as this is where cooler air is intended to be drawn from. You may also find that condensation may form in such a small gap.I have had conflicting advice from salespeople about whether I can/should do this.Follow the manufacturers recommendations, after all it is the manufacturers warranty that you will be claiming against, in the event of a claim. Sales people will tell you anything for a sale then forget about you when the problems start, anyway they will just deny having said anything of the sort and leave you holding the bundle.Has anyone else put their fridge into a space this tight and what happened?A friend of mine did this some years back when fridges were built to a better quality standard, within 2 years his compressor burnt out. The extended warranty he purchased at the time turned out to be a waste of money, his warranty claim was denied due to not having followed the manufacturers recommendations.My dilemma is that the kitchen cabinets were only built about 7 years ago, and I really don't want to have to have it redone just to fit in a new fridge, but the next size down is not going to be big enough now that we have a family.Get a cabinetmaker in and show him what the problem is, he may be able to help or suggest a way to achieve your goal without re-doing your kitchen. He may be able to add some filler panels or rework some other aspect without the need to re-do your whole kitchen.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 11:45:34 |Show all posts

G'Day,We recently bought a 420lt Kelvinator KTM4200WBR which sizing is 1640 x 703 x 709 which fits comfortable in our cabinet space being 1700 x 800 x 600.Ok it sits 50mm from back wall of the space and protrudes out a bit more than last 400lt fridge but is working extremely well.If I were you google various brands & get the exact size of models that suit your situation, most 420lt capacity fridges will suit your space, good luck but use net to get info & prices, it works well :-)

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 11:50:34 |Show all posts

In most cases the spacing is purely about meeting its energy star compliance. When the space isn't that big, the coolant cannot radiate as much and the fridge will undergo more compressor cycles and use more energy.A fridge can't really over heat, the reason being is that it compresses gas which heats up, and it has to be designed to take this heat as the cooling is slow process anyway.Its like aircons that say they have to be put 600mm below the roof and 2000mm above the ground, yet they somehow are installed on 2400mm walls ^_^

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 11:55:34 |Show all posts

If its constantly whirring away – you've got a problem.I would think it was the rear of the fridge and the space above the fridge that does need a decent clearance for the heat exchanger to do its job properly.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 12:01:34 |Show all posts

Really depends on the type of fridge. Old style fridges had external coils at the rear, which would be fine in your situation. However it seems modern fridges have inbuilt coils around the sides and back. Maybe if you could find one with a single rear radiator it would be alright.

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 12:06:34 |Show all posts

argh... i feel for you OP as i have this exact situation as well :)almost exactly same cupboard size and and am trying to work out whether we go the 'safe' 420L option or whether we can squeeze in a ~520L (could do with the extra shelf space)also looking at those brands....bloody hard decision as theres no turning back once committed.looking forward to more opinions itt :)

Use magic Report

Post time 2012-7-8 12:12:34 |Show all posts

this post was [b]edited[/b]Franco Cozzo writes...looking forward to more opinions itt :)Opinions are just that – opinionsDo yourself a favor and follow the manufacturers recommendations.As for built in models these vent differently to free standing models and subsequently have different recommendations.Incidentally the recommended side clearance for Electrolux free standing fridges is in fact 30mm, there is an alternative recommendation if you do not have a cupboard with a rear gap, the recommended clearance area on top increases from 50mm to 90mm (x) and from 32mm to 72mm (y). But there is no mention of reduced side clearance.Here is a link to their brochure with minimum specs:http://www.electrolux.com.au/Files/australia_english/Brochures/Refrigeration/EBRO_EFRI_Sep10.pdfHere is the warranty warning:Warranty[b]Electrolux Home Products warrants that for domestic applications the Electrolux E:Line products featured in this brochure are free from defects in materials and workmanship for 2 years (3 months warranty for commercial applications). All warranties are subject to the conditions set out in the warranty card accompanying the product when purchased. An additional 3 year warranty is also provided for domestic applications only to cover replacement of parts only for the sealed refrigeration system.Take note of the paragraph: [b]"All warranties are subject to the conditions set out in the warranty card accompanying the product when purchased."The clearances are listed in the users manual under a general warning which states: [b]When installed correctly, your refrigerator should: Have adequate space at the back & sides for air circulation (refer to the minimum specification on page 2 of this user manual)This is amongst other warnings in the user manual which the warranty card requires you to observe.

Use magic Report

Reply post

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now